Stage Crew Apprentice
Dates of Employment: May 30 – August 14, 2022
Reports To: Director of Production, Orchestra Operations Manager
Supports: Artistic Director, Conductors, Production Staff, Ensembles Manager, Musicians.
The Stage Crew Apprentice works on a ten-person Orchestra Stage Crew at the Brevard Music Center. This team is responsible for the setup and needs of multiple orchestras, chamber ensembles, and special events in a six-and-a-half-week festival. The Stage Crew Apprentice is expected to work on a team that works to ensure that all needs of the Orchestra are met. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information as well as a love of music and a sense of humor when appropriate is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist in the daily aspects of auditorium administration and housekeeping, including set-up, strike and changeover of rehearsals and performances at the Whittington-Pfohl Auditorium as directed by the Orchestra Operations Manager.
· Assist in the rehearsals and performances of the Chamber Music Series as directed by the Orchestra Operations Manager.
· Assist in the rehearsals and performances of the Opera Orchestras as directed by the Orchestra Operations Manager.
· Work in all areas of Production Staff as assigned by Assistant Production Manager of Orchestra including paints, props, carpentry, costumes, wigs & make-up, lighting, sound, stage management, house management and production management. We will try to match Apprentices to the crews of their preference but cannot guarantee it.
· Serve on run crews as required.
· Attend all load-ins and outs as assigned.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Previous orchestral and backstage experience is preferred.
· Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication at all times.
· Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Orchestra Operations Manager/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
· Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
· Complete satisfactory background check
· Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
· Includes a season stipend of $2000 paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: A vaccine mandate policy is in place for all students, faculty, summer staff, and residents for the 2022 season. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required. Brevard Music Center acts in accordance with applicable state and federal labor laws based on the most current workplace health safety guidance from local, state, and federal health and labor agencies. Brevard Music Center follows CDC and OSHA guidelines for what is considered fully vaccinated, which in the future may include booster shots.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.