Production Stage Manager of Opera
Dates of Employment: May 26 – August 12, 2023
Reports To: Director of Production, Director of Opera Program
Supports: Opera Artistic Director, Opera Company, Conductors, Production Staff, Ensembles Manager, Musicians.
The Production Stage Manager for Opera works on a four-person Stage Management team for Opera at the Brevard Music Center. This team is responsible for the setup and needs of opera rehearsals and performances for five mainstage opera performances in a six-and-a-half-week festival. The Production Stage Manager for Opera is expected to collaborate on a team that works to ensure that all needs of the Opera are met. Production Stage Managers and Assistant Stage Managers will be assigned per opera production to ensure all needs are met for each production. One day per week off is maintained throughout the entire season. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information as well as a love of music and a sense of humor when appropriate is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Full Production Stage Management of Opera Productions as contracted (season includes: La Traviata, Turn of the Screw, Into the Woods, Gershwin Review).
- Full preparation work of assigned show(s), to be completed pre-season - including contact with directors, work with Director of Production as needed and distribution of director’s props lists and costume measurements.
- Ensure that all rehearsal and performance spaces are prepared well in advance of scheduled events.
- Run all staging rehearsals, technical rehearsals, and performances of assigned show(s).
- Create/ oversee all paperwork necessary to the production.
- Produce and distribute daily notes, attend all opera production meetings, and set up individual meetings as needed among directors and staff.
- Distribute notes that are determined not to be able to wait until the end of the day in a timely manner to proper department.
- Check-in with each department each day -- identify challenges before they become problems and discuss with Production Management.
- Coordinate costume fittings and wig fittings.
- Facilitate keeping the lines of communication among departments open and clearly communicate all applicable information to each department in a timely manner.
- Set up and attend a weekly meeting with Production Management to ensure all issues are met and resolved in a timely manner. Check in with the Assistant Production
- Manager of Opera daily to ensure all Opera needs are being met properly.
- Work with assigned Assistant Stage Manager to mentor and teach them the basics of professional Opera Stage Management.
- Maintain a safe rehearsal and performance space. Turn in Production book for assigned show(s) at the end of the run.
- Above all, always maintain a cheerful, open, welcoming persona during work hours.
- Previous stage management experience, preferably in Opera.
- The ability to read music.
- A solid understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication always.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.