Staff Stage Crew / Chamber Series PSM
Dates of Employment: May 29 – August 13, 2023
Reports To: Director of Production, Orchestra Operations Manager
Supports: Artistic Director, Conductors, Production Staff, Ensembles Manager, Musicians.
Stage Crew Staff helps facilitate a positive and enjoyable work environment. The Stage Crew is responsible for the setup, rehearsals, performances and strike of Orchestras, Operas, Special Events, fund raising runouts and Special Projects. The Stage Crew Staff Member/ Chamber Series PSM helps oversee a ten-person Orchestra Stage Crew at the Brevard Music Center. This team is responsible for the setup and needs of multiple orchestras, chamber ensembles, opera orchestras, and special events in a six-and-a-half-week festival plus events both before the season begins and after the season ends. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information as well as a love of music and a sense of humor when appropriate is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the daily aspects of auditorium administration and housekeeping, including set-up, strike and changeover of rehearsals and performances at the Whittington-Pfohl Auditorium as directed by the Orchestra Operations Manager.
- Assist in the rehearsals and performances of the Chamber Music Series as directed by the Orchestra Operations Manager.
- Assist in the rehearsals and performances of the Opera Orchestras as directed by the Orchestra Operations Manager.
- Document all Orchestral needs as directed.
- In collaboration with Orchestra Operations Manager and Assistant Manager, oversee and manage all Chamber Series concerts and Opera pit orchestras as directed.
- Work with Orchestra Operations Manager and Assistant Manager to oversee, schedule and train the Stage Crew Apprentices and assigned work study students in the correct and efficient set-up of orchestras and ensembles
- Help oversee and monitor all Brevard Music Center owned and rented musical instruments.
- Work with Orchestra Operations Manager and Assistant Manager to create/ approve all rehearsal reports, concert run sheets, concert information sheets, and concert reports for orchestral events as well as complete any necessary accident reports as directed. Send all reports to necessary personnel.
- Collaborate to ensure all spaces are equipped with safety equipment, first aid kits and appropriate tool kits.
- Serve on run crews as required.
- Attend all load-ins and outs as assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Orchestra Operations Manager, Assistant Manager, and Director of Production. Reports to the Orchestra Operations Manager and Director of Production.
- Previous orchestral and stage management experience is preferred.
- A solid understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication at all times.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Orchestra Operations Manager/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.