Dates of Employment: May 22 – August 10, 2024
Reports To: Technical Director, Assistant Technical Director, Director of Production
Supports: Carpentry Department, Opera Productions, Orchestra Productions, Special Events
The Head Carpenter, under the supervision of the Technical Director, is responsible for the construction, mounting, and rigging of scenery for Janiec Opera Company productions. The Head Carpenter supervises a crew of carpenters/carpentry apprentices in the construction of scenery and scenic elements. They are also responsible for the maintenance of the scene shop equipment and supplies. A solid knowledge of scenic construction is required with strong knowledge of technical design for stage. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a safe, productive scene shop.
- Train or supervise the training and education of each staff member in proper safety procedures in conjunction with the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director.
- Ensure excellence and quality of work in all scenery produced.
- Ensure shop standards including: timeliness, cleaning up at end of day, and accurate materials tracking.
- Regular communication with the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director about the progress of the shop.
- Regular communication with the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director in the assignment of daily and weekly tasks of the staff.
- Regular communication with paint charge to ensure scenery has been properly prepared for paint.
- Work under the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director to oversee the daily run of the shop.
- Oversee Carpenters, Apprentices, and work-studies in the shop.
- Oversee and assist in construction and rigging for main stage productions.
- Oversee all load-ins and outs of productions as directed by the Technical Director and the Assistant Technical Director.
- Run or assist in the run of overnight crews as needed.
- Run shows as required.
- Assist Technical Director in pre-season preparation of the scene shop.
- Creation of construction drawings (especially in the pre-season) as directed by the Technical Director.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by the Technical Director and Director of Production.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Technical Director or Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.