Associate Head Librarian
Dates of Employment: June 12 - August 8, 2023
Reports To: Head Librarian
Supports: Artistic Director, Conductors, Library Staff, Operations Staff, Ensembles Manager, Musicians.
The Associate Head Librarian reports to the Head Librarian and provides a leadership role and overall guidance in the operation of the library. The Associate Head Librarian may be assigned to serve in the role of principal librarian for one or more of Brevard's performing ensembles. The Associate Head Librarian may also be assigned chamber music duties. Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) serving as librarian for assigned ensemble(s), editing and marking of parts, distribution and collection of parts, preparation of performance folders, photocopying, rehearsal/concert duty, and assisting overseeing of music library operations and projects.
- Assist in all aspects of music preparation, including but not limited to editing, proofreading, marking parts, and distribution.
- As assigned by the Head Librarian: work with conductors and soloists to prepare music according to their specific requirements.
- Work with the Head Librarian to ensure that orchestra parts meet acceptable standards; parts must be legible and must show appropriate rehearsal letters, numbers, and measure numbers.
- Ensure that there are enough parts.
- Ensure that markings in parts agree with the conductor's score and the players' parts.
- Assemble and arrange music in orchestra folders.
- Provide study parts and scores for musicians as appropriate and reasonable.
- Prepare music for BMC chamber groups.
Concert / Rehearsal Duties
- Ensure that all musicians have music.
- Distribute and collect music.
- Transport folders that have not been retrieved by musicians.
- Distribute folders at least 30 minutes before a service.
- Set conductor's scores when necessary.
- After each rehearsal, consult with the conductor and string principals on possible bowing changes, mistakes to be corrected in the parts, poor page turns, etc.
- Assist conductors and musicians with issues related to printed music.
Orchestra Library Maintenance and Administration
- Assist in the maintenance of the Music Center's collection of scores and parts; repair and maintain music and folders.
- As assigned by the Head Librarian: Catalog and file music purchased for the orchestra library, maintain accurate inventory, and ensure adequate security.
- Track all items borrowed from the library, i.e., individual parts, scores, reference materials; insure their timely return.
- Assist in the overseeing of student library workers.
- Previous music library experience is required.
- Ability to read music is required.
- The Associate Head Librarian must be able to work well under pressure, willing to take directions and requests from many people, and to prioritize task, especially during rush periods all while maintaining a positive attitude and working well as a team member.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Completed college degree or substantial progress towards a degree
Compensation: includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing.
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter, resume, and provide contact information for two references.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Jenny Snyder Kozoroz
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.