Assistant Stage Manager for Opera
Dates of Employment: May 27 – August 10, 2024
Reports To: Director of Production, Director of Opera Program, Production Stage Manager
Supports: Opera Artistic Director, Opera Company, Conductors, Production Staff, Ensembles Manager, Musicians.
The Assistant Stage Manager for Opera works on a Stage Management Crew for Opera at the Brevard Music Center. This team is responsible for the setup and needs of opera rehearsals and performances for four mainstage opera performances. The Assistant Stage Manager of Opera collaborates on a team that works to ensure that all needs of the Opera are met. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information as well as a love of music and a sense of humor when appropriate is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work, train, and learn as an Assistant Stage Manager for opera productions, as assigned.
- Communicate efficiently (written and verbally) with the stage management staff.
- Generate and maintain all paperwork, as assigned.
- Attend and play an active role (as assigned by PSM) in all rehearsals and performances.
- Create a productive, communicative, and positive environment with the 30+ company members.
- Prepare and close-down the season as directed by the Assistant Production Managers and Director of Production.
- Assist in the oversight of run crew members.
- Attend all load- ins and outs.
- Be prepared to assist other crews at the end of season strike until dismissed by Production Management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervised by the Production Stage Manager, Assistant Production Managers, and Director of Production.
- Previous stage management experience, preferably in Opera.
- The ability to read music.
- A solid understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication always.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to the Production Stage Manager or Director of Production/act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.