Dates of Employment: May 26 – August 20, 2023
Reports To: Director of Production, Orchestra Operations Manager
Supports: Performances, Patrons
The House Manager facilitates a positive and enjoyable performance environment for our Brevard Music Center patrons. They manage the house for 6 performance venues and 100+ performances. They coordinate efforts with our Brevard Music Center Association Adult Volunteers to ensure the proper number of ushers per performance. They train and orient these ushers, and continue emergency management guideline review throughout the season. They also schedule and manage 100+ student work study ushers throughout the season. The House Manager also resolves patron concerns during performances. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate a positive and enjoyable performance environment for patrons.
- Resolve patron concerns during performances.
- Manage the house for 6 performance venues and 80+ performances.
- Create weekly schedules for 100 student ushers.
- Orient and supervise 100+ adult volunteer ushers before, during, and after performances.
- Write performance reports after each performance to ensure companywide communication.
- Supervise the House Management Apprentice in an educational and instructive manner.
- Communicate with Box Office to get pre-show and post-show numbers – communicate to Production Management as necessary.
- Observe the audience from both sides during the entire performance to identify a patron having a health issue and/or a patron causing disruptions. Deal with these situations as appropriate.
- Assign duties to the House Management Apprentice, ushers, and adult volunteers before, during, and after performances.
- Maintain spreadsheet of the Overture total numbers and locations to ensure that there will be enough overtures for the entire season. Communicate these numbers throughout the season with Director of Production.
- Work with Production Management to produce all signage needed for designated BMC performance venues, rehearsal spaces and all facilities signs. This does not include parking sings for the Whittington-Pfohl Auditorium.
- Coordinate communication with parking staff, stage management, and box office for opening of house and intermission length via walkie-talkie.
- Assist Production Management in the acquiring of emergency services for every performance.
- Ensure that Emergency Services arrive on time to all performance events and make sure they get an assigned radio.
- If necessary, assist production management in the organization of our parking team for the Whittington-Pfohl Auditorium.
- Organize program distribution and recycling for all performances.
- Organize, lead, and participate in the cleanup of venues before and after performances.
- Organize and creatively problem solve patron traffic flow around marketing materials, concessions, and development stations.
- Anticipate potential patron safety hazards, possible concerns, or patron questions, and solve before the performance.
- Organize and arrange venues in a visually pleasing manner.
- Update House Management inventory.
- Attend load- ins and outs as required.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Production.
- Supervised by Assistant Production Managers and Director of Production.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with HM staff, BMC staff, and patrons.
- Highly motivated and passionate about ensuring a positive patron experience.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willing to work physically.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication at all times.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Orchestra Operations Manager/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. Applications are made through email only. Interested parties should send a cover letter, resume and references to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.