Wig & Makeup Apprentice
Dates of Employment: Approximately May 29 – August 13, 2022
Reports To: Wig & Makeup Shop Manager, Director of Production
Supports: Wig & Makeup Department, Janiec Opera Company
The Wigs & Makeup Apprentice helps facilitate a positive and enjoyable Wigs & Makeup Shop environment. The Wigs & Makeup Apprenticeship offers direct exposure to the build and altering of upcoming productions. The apprentice will have the opportunity to build professional relationships, construct portfolio pieces and gain professional experience in theatrical construction, craftwork, styling, ventilation and wig maintenance and various Opera Make-up Techniques. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn and train as a Wig & Makeup Apprentice for the 3 full scale opera productions under the direction of the Wig & Makeup Designer and Shop Manager.
- Build and fit wigs for the 2023 season as assigned.
- Learn and apply makeup techniques as assigned.
- Help in maintaining a positive, organized, and efficient work environment.
- Oversee work-studies in the workspaces while maintaining an educational environment.
- Ensure excellence and quality of work.
- Assist in updating wigs and makeup lists as directed.
- Assist in updating and maintaining wigs and makeup inventory as directed.
- Attend all load- ins and outs.
- Work on run crew or wardrobe crew for all shows.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by the Wig and Makeup Designer, Wigs and Makeup Shop Manager and Director of Production.
- Able to execute well all above duties and responsibilities.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Technical Director or Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a $2500 season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.