Wig & Makeup Shop Manager
Dates of Employment: Approximately May 26 – August 13, 2023
Reports To: Director of Production
Supports: Wig & Makeup Department, Janiec Opera Company
The Wigs & Makeup Shop Manager helps facilitate a positive and enjoyable Wigs & Makeup Shop environment. The Wigs & Makeup Shop Manager offers direct exposure to the build and altering for upcoming productions. The manager will have the build professional relationships, construct portfolio pieces and gain professional experience in theatrical construction, craftwork, styling, ventilation and wig maintenance. They will oversee the safe and effective running of the shop and all shows. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a clean, organized, and productive Wig & Makeup shop.
- Participate in and supervise all Wig and Makeup work that happens in-house at the direction of the Wig and Makeup Designer.
- Design as requested, in collaboration with the Head Wig & Makeup Designer.
- Supervise Apprentices and work study students as they work in the Wig & Makeup Shop.
- Collaborate with the Wig/Make-up designer for all shows.
- Under the direction of the Wig & Makeup Designer, help budget, pull, create, borrow and rent all Wigs for the season, featuring 3 Mainstage operas.
- Assist Wig & Makeup Designer however they see fit.
- Train and equip the Wig & Makeup Apprentices with knowledge and skills associated with theatrical Wig construction and Makeup techniques.
- Maintain the integrity of the Wig & Makeup Design and ensure excellence and quality of work.
- Fit the Wigs to the actors as assigned.
- Manage the organization and work of the Wig & Makeup Shop.
- Working with the Wig & Makeup Designer, maintain budget given by Production Manager.
- Run Wig & Makeup shop.
- Conduct all Wig fittings.
- Update inventory.
- Attend all production meetings and extra meetings with Designer and/or Director as needed.
- Turn in department receipts.
- Turn in weekly schedules for department.
- Attend all load- ins and outs.
- Run shows as required.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by the Wig & Makeup Designer, Assistant Production Managers, and Director of Production.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Technical Director or Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.