Dates of Employment: May 26 – August 13, 2023
Reports To: Director of Production
Supports: Scenic Department, Janiec Opera Company
The Scenic Charge facilitates a positive and enjoyable Paint Shop environment. The Paints Department is responsible for completing all painting, sculpting and scenic crafting projects using a variety of materials and methods. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Paint the sets for each of our five mainstage productions of La Traviata, Turrn of the Screw, Into the Woods and a Gershwin Review.
- Maintain a safe, educational, and productive paint shop.
- Train each scenic department member in proper safety procedures in conjunction with/ as directed by the Technical Director.
- Ensure excellence and quality of work.
- Oversee Scenic Artist, Paints Apprentices, and work-studies in the workspaces in an educational manner as directed.
- Paint necessary furniture/set dressing/hand prop pieces needed for a production in collaboration with props department.
- Repair and/or modify stock items needed for a production.
- Maintain excellent stewardship of tools and supplies in your work area.
- Assigned organization and improvement of stock.
- Regular communication with Scenic Designers to accurately realize the creative vision of the design.
- Create and update scenic task lists as assigned.
- Be prepared to assist other crews/departments at the end of season strike until dismissed by Production Management.
- Update and maintain paints inventory.
- Attend all load- ins and outs.
- Run shows as required.
- Attend regular production meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by the Director of Production.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Technical Director or Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.