Dates of Employment: May 27 – August 10, 2024
Reports To: Technical Director, Assistant Technical Director, Head Carpenter, Director of Production
Supports: Carpentry Department, Opera Productions, Orchestra Productions, Special Events
The Staff Carpenter, under the supervision of the Technical Director, is responsible for the construction, mounting, and rigging of scenery for Janiec Opera Company productions. The Staff Carpenter works on a crew of carpenters/carpentry apprentices in the construction of scenery and scenic elements. They are also responsible for the maintenance of the scene shop equipment and supplies as directed. A solid knowledge of scenic construction is required with strong knowledge of technical design for stage. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of Technical Director, Assistant Technical Director, and Head Carpenter, build, load-in, and strike the opera/musical season featuring four Mainstage opera performances.
- Maintain a safe work environment, following all safety procedures and guidelines as outlined by the Technical Director, Assistant Technical Director, and Head Carpenter.
- Uphold shop standards including timeliness, cleaning up at the end of day, positive attitude and accurate materials tracking.
- Take part in educational opportunities provided by BMC.
- Be prepared to assist other crews/departments at the end of season strike until dismissed by Production Management.
- Assist as directed in the education of Carpentry Apprentices.
- Run shows as required.
- Work overnight crews as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by Technical Director, Assistant Technical Director, Head Carpenter, Assistant Production Managers and Director of Production.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Technical Director or Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record Compensation
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.