Video Camera Operator / Swing Production Assistant
Dates of Employment: May 27 – August 10, 2024
Reports To: Head of Video, Director of Production, Assistant Production Managers. Collaborates with Audio/Video/Recording Vendor.
Supports: Video Department, Orchestras, Ensembles, Janiec Opera Company, Special Events
The Camera Operator/ Swing Production Assistant helps facilitate a positive and enjoyable work environment. They generally work 3-4 days per week as a Camera Operator, 2-3 days in another department (likely Lighting or Carpentry) and have 1 to 2 days per week off. The Video Department is responsible for the design and engineering of all video recordings for Orchestras, Special Events, Operas and Special Projects in collaboration with our Audio/ Video/ Recording Vendor. They are responsible for collaborating with our vendor to provide Video Engineering (supported by and designed by the Vendor) for all necessary projects. As needed, members of our Sound/ Video/Recording Vendor’s team will join the BMC Production Staff for projects. The core Video Crew is the Head of Video, a Video Engineer, and a crew of Camera Operators/ Swing Production Assistants.
Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information as well as a love of music and a sense of humor when appropriate is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in the Video Recording Department as directed generally 3-4 days per week.
- Work in another Department (likely Lighting or Carpentry) as directed generally 2-3 days per week (always with a least 1 day per week off).
- Maintain safe, instructive, and productive workspaces.
- Ensure that EVERY concert or event that requires Camera Operation receives it in a timely manner in collaboration with our Sound/ Video/ Recording Vendor.
- Practice proper safety procedures always.
- Ensure excellence and quality of work in all performance venues and over performances.
- Operate a video camera for all assigned performances as required.
- Attend all production meetings and extra meetings with designers as needed.
- Turn in weekly receipts.
- Attend all load- ins and outs.
- Run shows as required.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by the Head of Video, Director of Production and collaborator with the Audio/ Video/ Recording Vendor.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to the Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on December 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.