Orchestra Operations Assistant Manager
Dates of Employment: May 24 – August 19, 2024
Reports To: Orchestra Operations Manager, Director of Production
Supports: Artistic Director, Conductors, Production Staff, Ensembles Manager, Musicians.
The Orchestra Operations Assistant Manager is the right hand to the Orchestra Operations Manager and helps oversee the Orchestra Stage Crew at the Brevard Music Center. This team is responsible for the setup and needs of multiple orchestras, chamber ensembles, and special events in a six-and-a-half-week festival. The Orchestra Operations Assistant Manager is expected to work closely and effectively with the Orchestra Operations Manager and the Director of Production. They will also, as directed by the Orchestra Operations Manager, work with the Director of Artistic Planning, Artistic Coordinator, Ensembles Manager, Librarians and Conductors to ensure that all needs and deadlines are met. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the preparation, load-in, stage managing, and load-out of all Orchestral Activities, with specific focus on the Whittington-Pfohl Auditorium with the help of a ten-person Stage Crew team.
- Work with the Orchestra Operations Manager to facilitate clear communication regarding Orchestral needs and strategies for executing day–to-day operations smoothly and effectively.
- Document all Orchestral needs as directed.
- In collaboration with Orchestra Operations Manager, oversee and manage all Chamber Series concerts and Opera pit orchestras.
- Work with Orchestra Operations Manager to oversee, schedule and train Chamber Series PSMs, Staff Stage Crew, Stage Crew Apprentices, and assigned work study students in the correct and efficient set-up of orchestras and ensembles.
- As assigned, help organize and run the weekly Orchestra Information Meeting. Meet with Orchestra Operations Manager and production management to discuss daily and weekly schedules and challenges.
- Collaborate with sound, lighting, recording and front of house departments to ensure all production needs are met in rehearsals and performances as directed.
- Work with Orchestra Operations Manager to schedule all piano tunings with at least 48-hour notice. Create a tuning schedule for piano tuner as directed.
- Help oversee and monitor all Brevard Music Center owned and rented musical instruments.
- Work with Orchestra Operations Manager to create/ approve all rehearsal reports, concert run sheets, concert information sheets, and concert reports for orchestral events as well as complete any necessary accident reports. Send all reports to necessary personnel.
- Collaborate to ensure all spaces are equipped with safety equipment, first aid kits and appropriate tool kits.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Orchestra Operations Manager and Director of Production
- Reports to the Orchestra Operations Manager and Director of Production.
- Previous orchestral and backstage experience is required.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication at all times.
- Highly motivated to do your best work at all times.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Production Management/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC: https://my.brevardmusic.org/create-account/. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, national origin, age or individual handicap in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.