Dates of Employment: May 26 – August 13, 2023
Reports To: Director of Production, Assistant Production Managers
Supports: Opera Productions, Orchestra Productions, Special Events
The Technical Director is responsible for providing the essential support required to maintain an efficient theatrical producing company in both the Opera and Orchestral areas of the Brevard Music Center and Festival. This position works in conjunction with the Production Management in scheduling, coordinating, and executing all production elements at BMC.
Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information as well as a love of music and a sense of humor when appropriate is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a safe, productive scene shop.
- Oversee BMC festival safety and work with department heads to maintain a safe work environment.
- Train or supervise the training of each staff member in proper safety procedures.
- Oversee complete setup of Opera Superstructure and entire Opera space.
- Build 3 shows for opera/musical season.
- Build items for Orchestra and contribute to Special Events/ Special Projects as requested by our Artistic Director or Director of Production.
- Oversee Assistant Technical Director, Master Carpenter and crew.
- Supervise construction and rigging for main stage productions.
- Oversee scene shop including purchasing and maintenance of materials and tools with the approval of the Production Manager.
- Create/ supervise the creation of working drawings.
- Maintain budget and work schedule.
- Oversee all load-ins and outs of productions as required.
- Train relevant department (especially Lighting) in safe and proper use of rigging equipment and lift use.
- Be present for all Opera/Musical rehearsals onstage.
- Update inventory.
- Attend all production meetings.
- Turn in receipts and next week’s schedule on a daily/ updated basis.
- Work with designers and directors to realize designs from beginning to end.
- Regular communication with Director of Production and appropriate entities regarding the progress and goals of the scene shop.
- Creation of “TD Bible” and records-keeping for future use at BMC
- Supervised by the Director of Production.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with HM staff, BMC staff, and patrons.
- Highly motivated and passionate about ensuring a positive patron experience.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willing to work physically.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs reliably and safely.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication at all times.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Orchestra Operations Manager/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.