Dean of Students
Dates of Employment: May 30 - August 9, 2023
Reports To: Vice President & Chief Artistic Officer
Supports: Director of Admissions & Student Services, Student Services Staff, and Residence Life Staff.
The Summer Director of Residence Life / Dean of Students is the leading member of the Residence Life staff at the Brevard Music Center. This position manages a team of four Assistant Deans, supervises a staff of Resident Assistants, and oversees all residential summer students (ages 14-29).
- Directly supervise approximately 35 RAs with support from Assistant Deans. Oversee the supervision of approximately 400 students ages 14-29.
- Monitor the campus and serve as the point person and primary response for any on-campus residential issues.
- Respond to and make decisions in emergency situations.
- Establish and maintain on-call duty coverage for campus.
- Maintain a high level of student contact by including oneself in campus activities and retaining a high level of visibility and availability
- Coordinate all residential life components including dorm/room checks and weekly Residential Staff meetings.
- Lead staff and student orientation sessions. Assist with student registration and coordinate airport pick-up / drop-off schedules.
- Help establish and maintain a climate congenial to learning, study, practice, performance, inclusion and growth.
- Coordinate student recreational and social activities to help foster a fun, safe, and nurturing environment for all students.
- Serve as the point of contact for parents of younger students.
- Uphold student code of conduct and serve as mediator as needed.
- Serve as a liaison between students, and other entities, e.g., administration, campus health services.
- Regularly update and communicate with the Vice President & Chief Artistic Officer on any issues pertaining to Residence Life.
- Communicate with the Director of Admissions & Student Services and the Student Services staff as needed.
- Evening and weekend work is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
The position and its responsibilities determine your work hours, which will include nights and weekends. A welcoming demeanor, a calm temperament, outstanding interpersonal skills, and a strong sense of personal responsibility are required.
- Complete a satisfactory background check.
- Must have a valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record.
- Experience in a residence life leadership role.
- Experience working with musicians strongly preferred.
- Experience responding to crisis and emergency situations in a residential setting.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate with a high degree of
discretion and diplomacy.
- Master's Degree preferred
Compensation: includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing.
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Admissions & Student Services
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.