Artistic Operations Assistant
Number of Positions Available: 1
Dates of Employment: May 20 - August 7, 2024
Reports To: Artistic Administrator
Supports: Instruction & Performance Department, Operations and Production Staff, Artistic Director, Faculty, and Guest Artists
The Artistic Operations Assistant is a key member of the Brevard Music Center’s Artistic Administration team, and facilitates the day-to-day operations of the Instruction & Performance Department. This position serves as an important cross-departmental liaison and representative interacting with students, artist faculty, guest artists, and other staff. The Artistic Operations Assistant collaborates in all aspects of artistic administration including pre/post-festival preparation, program creation and editing, concert management, artist services, and scheduling, as well as other duties throughout the festival.
- Assist in managing all aspects of the Student Concert Series (Piano Recitals, Pre-Concert Performances, Student Chamber Music, New Music Concerts, etc.) including sign ups, scheduling performers, transportation, equipment, etc.
- Communicate Student Concert Series information to staff, faculty coaches, student groups.
- Oversee each Student Concert Series performances to ensure a positive experience for the performing students.
- Assist in managing the logistics of guest artist masterclasses/workshops and other festival concerts/performances/events, as needed.
- Coordinate the creation, proofing, editing, and printing of student concert programs accurately and with attention to detail.
- Assist in monitoring and updating the festival schedule of rehearsals, masterclasses, performances, and other events.
- Represent the Instruction & Performance Department at rehearsals, production meetings, and other events as needed.
- Participate in the arrival/departure procedures of Artist Faculty including on-campus housing logistics, check-in/check-out days, and creation of arrival packets.
- Assist in the preparation of arrival audition excerpts and opening week orchestral parts to be posted online.
- Support the Artistic Liaisons in all aspects of guest artist services, as necessary.
- Serve as the Instruction & Performance Department Liaison for all pre/postseason programs (House Concerts, Jazz Institute, Adult Classical Guitar Workshop, and Blue Ridge Banjo/Guitar Camp).
- Participate in concert duty rotation, as needed.
- Collaborate with other department staff on festival projects, as assigned.
The Artistic Operations Assistant works nearly every day of the week and many evenings. This position is on call at all times to help handle any other duties/situations that may arise through the season. The Artistic Operations Assistant reports to the Artistic Administrator and works closely with the Department of Instruction & Performance and Production Staff. Other administrative support duties may be assigned by the Director of Artistic Planning & Educational Programs.
A welcoming demeanor, a calm temperament, outstanding interpersonal skills, and a strong sense of personal responsibility and motivation are required.
- Background in classical music and basic knowledge of repertoire.
- Experience working with professional musicians strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines with large amounts of information.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with experience in proofreading and editing.
- Enthusiastic team player possessing a cultivated, professional demeanor, and positive attitude.
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Excel, and Word.
- Complete a satisfactory background check.
- Must have a valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record.
- A college degree in music, substantial progress towards such a degree, or extensive knowledge of classical music.
Compensation: includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2024, and continue until the positions are filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Brevard Music Center
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.