Staff Live Audio/ Recording
Dates of Employment: May 29 – August 13, 2023
Reports To: Director of Production, Assistant Production Managers
Supports: Head of Sound, Sound Department, Janiec Opera Company, Orchestras, Ensembles, Special Events
The Staff Live Audio/ Recording position helps facilitate a positive and enjoyable Live Sound and Recording Department environment. They are supervised by the Head of Live Sound/ Recording and work collaboratively with one or both teams when assigned to a performance or event. The Live Audio/ Recording Department is responsible for the design and engineering of all Sound and Recording Systems for Operas, Orchestras, Special Events, fund raising runouts and Special Projects in collaboration with our Sound Vendor. As needed, members of our Sound and Recording Vendor’s team will join the BMC Production Staff for one-off projects. The core Live Audio/ Recording Crew is 5 members and can expand to 9 - 10 crew members for large shows.
Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information as well as a love of music and a sense of humor when appropriate is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in the Sound Department, managed by the Head of Live Audio/ Recording.
- Maintain safe, instructive, and productive workspaces.
- Ensure that EVERY concert or event that requires Sound and/or Recording receives it in a timely manner as directed by the Head of Live Audio/ Recording.
- Update and maintain accurate equipment inventories for Audio and Recording, as directed.
- Maintain accurate and thorough paperwork, which includes but is not limited to tracking equipment ownership, current location, maintenance needs etc.
- Practice proper safety procedures always.
- Record sound for all performances as required/ directed.
- Ensure excellence and quality of work in all 6 performance venues and over 80 performances.
- Mix amplified sound for all performances as required. Serve as A-2 on projects/ performances as agreed upon by you, the Head of Sound, the Director of Production, and the Sound vendor.
- Coordinate guest artists' sound needs as directed.
- Attend all production meetings and extra meetings with designers as requested by the Head of Live Audio/ Recording.
- Manage Clear-coms in all venues as directed.
- Attend all load- ins and outs.
- Run shows as required.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by the Head of Live Audio/ Recording, Director of Production and collaborator with the Sound Vendor.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with HM staff, BMC staff, and patrons.
- Highly motivated and passionate about ensuring a positive patron experience.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willing to work physically.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs reliably and safely.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication at all times.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Orchestra Operations Manager/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.