Scenic and Props Apprentice
Dates of Employment: May 29 – August 13, 2023
Reports To: Scenic Charge, Director of Production
Supports: Scenic Department, Janiec Opera Company
The Scenic and Props Apprentice helps facilitate positive and enjoyable Scenic and Props Shop environments. The Props Department is responsible for completing projects having to do with the construction, restoration, or modification of furniture, set dressing, and hand props using a variety of materials and methods. The Paints Department is responsible for completing all painting, sculpting and scenic crafting projects using a variety of materials and methods. Holistic effective communication and dissemination of information is essential to the successful execution of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- As directed by the Scenic Charge, paint the sets for each of five mainstage productions of La Traviata, Turn of the Screw, Into the Woods and a Gershwin Review.
- As directed by the Props Master, participate in the build/ purchase/ modify/ pull of necessary furniture/set dressing/hand prop pieces needed for each of four mainstage productions.
- Help maintain a safe, educational, and productive paints and props shop.
- Ensure excellence and quality of work.
- Repair and/or modify stock items needed for a production.
- Practice excellent stewardship of tools and supplies in your work area.
- Assigned organization and improvement of stock.
- Regular communication with Scenic Charge and Props Master to accurately realize the creative vision of the design.
- Create and update scenic and props task lists as assigned.
- Be prepared to assist other crews/departments at the end of season strike until dismissed by Production Management.
- Update and maintain paints and props inventories.
- Attend all load- ins and outs.
- Run shows as required.
- Attend regular production meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervised by the Scenic Charge, Props Master and Director of Production.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Good attitude and work ethic.
- Willingness to take ownership of your position and not blame other staff members or outside circumstances for your degree of success on individual tasks and on your position as a whole.
- Able to take instruction and feedback from supervisors and use it to improve your job performance.
- Understanding of channels of communication and the importance of clear and open communication.
- Maintain calm under pressure and receive/ intake information from multiple sources that you quickly prioritize and relay to Technical Director or Director of Production/ act upon if deemed appropriate.
- Above all, must possess a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and ability to work well in a team dynamic.
- Complete satisfactory background check
- Must have valid state driver's license and possess a clean driving record
- Includes a $2500 season stipend paid bi-weekly, full board, and on-campus housing
To apply, create an account and start an application using MyBMC. Please upload a cover letter and resume (with references listed) to be considered for this position.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Any questions can be directed to:
Director of Production
Brevard Music Center
Please note: As Brevard prepares for the 2023 season, we continue to work with local and state health officials, along with campus and venue safety specialists, to develop and implement guidelines and protocols designed to keep our students, faculty, staff, and patrons safe. For the 2022 season, BMC's COVID-19 protocols included social distancing measures, indoor mask-wearing, and vaccination requirements. We will share updated policies for 2023 as more information becomes available from public health agencies.
To apply for this position:
- Click the button below.
- Create a MyBMC account (if you don't already have one).
- Sign in to your MyBMC account.
- Visit the Employment section.
Brevard Music Center is a summer institute and festival. Over four hundred young musicians from around the country come each summer to study and perform in over 80 concerts ranging from orchestra to opera, chamber music and pops. As a matter of policy, the Brevard Music Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information (including family medical history) in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs and activities.