2021 Virtual Piano Institute
Dates and Deadlines
Updated virtual program dates: July 19 - 30, 2021
The College Piano Institute will be held virtually this year! See our COVID-19 Resources page for more information about this decision.
Application deadline: Now accepting applications on a rolling basis - apply now!
This year’s Virtual Piano Institute at Brevard offers students ages 12-35 the chance to work with world-renowned faculty. This year’s program will be held entirely online while uniquely connecting to performances and events by the on-campus College Orchestral Institute and College Opera programs.
This exciting, two-week program provides:
- private lessons with members of the piano faculty
- student and faculty recitals
- studio and masterclasses with faculty and guest artists
- classes in piano literature, performance practice, and other topics
- access to specialized seminars and workshops by BMC instrumental and vocal faculty from the College Orchestra and College Opera programs
- streamed performances of orchestra concerts and faculty chamber music concerts
- access to orchestra rehearsals, specifically to repertoire that features orchestral piano parts
- opportunities for program collaborations with the Virtual Composition Institute
This virtual program is open to students from around the world, with events designed to fit a variety of schedules and also available as recorded material.
Collaborative piano students apply through the College Orchestral Institute, a 5+ week program.
*Coordinator, Collaborative Piano Program
Admission to the Brevard Music Center is determined by audition. Pianists may upload audio recordings or link(s) to YouTube video auditions directly into the application.
Perform two contrasting solo works or movements from different style periods.
Tuition & Scholarships
The tuition for 2021’s virtual, two-week piano program is $950. This includes all online instruction, activities, and access to streamed BMC orchestra and chamber music concerts.
The application fee is $25. Tuition payment options are:
- Pay in full at the time of enrollment
- Pay 50% within 2 weeks of acceptance and the balance by May 15, 2021
The tuition rate for our virtual programs already includes scholarship support and reflects the final cost.
Eligible students may apply for the BMC Opportunity Scholarship, which is designed to assist historically underrepresented populations in the study of music. Open to students of African-American and Latinx descent, the BMC Opportunity Scholarship program seeks to help these young musicians overcome financial obstacles that might prevent them from achieving their full potential.
Students are encouraged to seek financial assistance from outside sources. Schools, music clubs and organizations, youth orchestras and bands, service clubs (e.g., Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.), businesses, and foundations may be willing to help. Be professional and creative, and start planning early.
All payments, except the $25 application fee and the minimum 50% tuition payment due at enrollment, will be fully refunded if the Center receives notice of cancellation due to serious illness before May 15.
Written verification from an M.D. is required before a refund can be made. No reduction in fees can be made for late arrival or early departure.
No refunds will be made after May 15.