2021 Opera Institute
Janiec Opera Company
Dean Anthony, Director
Dates and Deadlines
Updated Program Dates: July 1 - August 7, 2021
We have updated our plans for the Opera Institute, which will be held in a single, 5+ week, and in-person session this summer. See our COVID-19 Resources page for more information for more information about this decision.
Application deadline: March 31. Update April 1: We are no longer accepting additional applications for the Opera Institute
This summer, the Janiec Opera Company of the Brevard Music Center will enroll approximately 15 singers for an in-person experience. This single, 5+ week session will provide personal and intensive training with Director of Opera Dean Anthony, and will present one production and two concerts. Information about our on-campus safety procedures will be updated regularly on our COVID-19 Resources page. COVID-19 vaccines are required for all on-campus students, faculty, and staff for the 2021 season.
Some hallmarks of the Janiec Opera Company in 2021:
- All roles are sung by students
- Daily opera classes and coaching in style, diction, acting, musicianship, and movement
- Audition technique workshop classes with professional staff
- Masterclasses with faculty and other renowned visiting professionals, both in-person and virtual
- Special performances including outreach opportunities and evenings of opera and musical theater
Gianni Schicchi - Giacomo Puccini
Opera's Greatest Hits
JOC on Broadway
Note: In 2021, all shows will be performed with piano accompaniment. Many roles will be double-cast, and the opera will have two performances per cast.
2021 Opera Faculty
Dean Anthony - Director of Opera
Josh Quinn - Musical Director / Vocal Coach
Lindsay Woodward - Musical Director / Vocal Coach
Jestin Pieper - Pianist / Vocal Coach
Sidney Outlaw - Voice Instructor
Caroline Worra - Voice Instructor
Susanne Marsee - Guest Lecturer
Admission into the opera program is determined by video audition. Note: There are no live auditions for the 2021 season.
Please include the following selections:
- two contrasting arias (preferably one from the 2021 season repertoire): one in English and one in Italian, German, or French
- one song from the musical theater repertoire
- We'd love to get to know you better. Please also include a short, personal video answering the four questions below:
- Why did you decide to sing for Brevard?
- What would you hope to gain from a summer at Brevard?
- How has dealing with the pandemic been for you during these past months?
- Where would you like to see yourself in five years?
In addition to your audition, please upload an 8x10 headshot and a current resume. Upload links to YouTube video auditions directly into your application.
Note About 2021 Video Submissions
- Accompaniment is required
- Piano or piano track is acceptable
- Wearing a mask is acceptable if needed for in-person recording purposes
- Any location or background is acceptable
- Lip-syncing and/or audio manipulation is not permitted
We are in complete understanding of how the ongoing pandemic is affecting singers. All videos will be reviewed using a stereo system, listened to in their entirety, and judged based on the content, not the recording quality. There is no prescreening at Brevard, and all auditions will be individually reviewed by the Director of Opera.
For additional recording tips, watch this short video entitled "Self Tape Dos and Don'ts for Voice."
Janiec Opera Company Facebook Page
For more information, please visit the Janiec Opera Company Facebook Page.
Tuition for the Janiec Opera Company is $5000. This includes all instruction, housing, meals, and the opportunity to attend on-campus concerts and other events. Each participant is responsible for travel to and from Brevard.
The application fee is $45. A non-refundable enrollment fee of $800 is due within 2 weeks of acceptance.
Brevard Music Center offers scholarship support according to a student's audition and demonstrated financial need, and program need. In 2019, Brevard provided scholarship support to more than 70% of its students.
Students are encouraged to seek financial assistance from outside sources. Schools, music clubs and organizations, youth orchestras and bands, service clubs (e.g., Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.), businesses, and foundations may be willing to help. Be professional and creative, and start planning early.
Students apply for Brevard's scholarships online, as part of the regular application process. Applying for scholarship support requires disclosure of certain financial information and a detailed statement of need.
BMC Opportunity Scholarship
The BMC Opportunity Scholarship is designed to assist historically underrepresented populations in the study of music. Open to students of African-American and Latinx descent, the BMC Opportunity Scholarship program seeks to help these young musicians overcome financial obstacles that might prevent them from achieving their full potential. BMC Opportunity Scholarships are awarded in conjunction with financial aid. Students may apply for the scholarship in the Financial Aid section of the online application.
Brevard Music Center students in the Janiec Opera Company may apply to serve as Resident Assistants for the four-week program. A limited number of Resident Assistant (RA) positions are available. Brevard's Resident Assistants (RA) provide guidance to younger students and supervise student living quarters.
RAs have the same educational and performance opportunities as other college division students. RAs pay only a non-refundable enrollment fee of $800 which covers tuition, room, and board.
An RA applicant must:
- be at least 20 years of age by June 1, 2021
- submit the separate Resident Assistant application (within the general application)
- be accepted first as a student
- submit to a formal background check, if selected
All payments, except the $45 application fee and $800 enrollment fee, will be fully refunded if the Center receives notice of cancellation due to serious illness before May 15.
Written verification from an M.D. is required before a refund can be made. No reduction in fees can be made for late arrival or early departure.
No refunds will be made after May 15.*
* For refund policies specifically related to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, please visit our FAQ page.