High School Piano
Full Session: June 21 - August 5, 2018
First Session: June 21 - July 13, 2018
Second Session: July 14 - August 5, 2018
Each year Brevard's Piano program enrolls more than seventy students. Pianists may attend for the full six-week term or for either the first or the second session (three weeks). Most students select the full term.
The piano program provides:
- private study with distinguished teachers
- ample practice time in air-conditioned studios
- weekly studio and master classes with faculty and guest artists
- open rehearsals with world-renowned concert soloists
- classes in piano literature, performance practice, or other topics
- opportunity to attend nearly 80 orchestra, chamber, solo, and opera performances
Piano students present a public recital each week. Pianists may also have the opportunity to participate in enhanced collaborative activities, e.g., instrumental, vocal, chamber, duo/duet, orchestra. All students in the High School Division take classes in music theory and music literature.
Students in the piano program will participate in the BMC Chorus. In 2018, the BMC Chorus will join Maestro Keith Lockhart and the BMCO in the season finale performance of Leonard Bernstein's Mass.
Students work on campus in 90 studios and practice rooms. Piano students reserve daily practice time on both grand and upright pianos. Steinway is the official piano of the Brevard Music Center.
The BMC Piano Competition is open to any BMC pianist enrolled for the full term. Each of the five finalists receives a cash prize. Full-session piano students may also enter the Jan and Beattie Wood Concerto Competition.
Students in the High School Division will encounter older students at concerts, in studio and masterclasses, and in the cafeteria, providing valuable opportunities for guidance and mentorship. However, high school students have their own ensembles, their own residences, their own campus life system, and their own social activities.
Typical Daily Schedule
Music Literature / Music Theory
Private lesson (once a week) *
Etude Class (twice a week)
Student Piano Recital (Wednesday)
Piano Literature class
Piano Studio class (Tuesday)
Piano Masterclass (Thursday)
Attend concerts most evenings
Call to Quarters
- Each piano student is guaranteed up to 3 hours of reserved, daily practice time
- Pianists are strongly encouraged to observe orchestra rehearsals – especially when a piano soloist is featured
- Certain guest artists offer 'Q and A' sessions or masterclasses for students
- Unscheduled times shall be used for personal practice, rest, and recreation
* Private lesson times are arranged with the teacher