Make a Donation
BMC History at a Glance
1936 : James Christian Pfohl founded the Davidson Music School for Boys at Davidson College in North Carolina. The School was a summer music camp modeled loosely after the National Arts Camp at Interlochen (MI).
1944 : Pfohl moved his school to its present location in Brevard, North Carolina. The school became coeducational and was renamed "Transylvania Music Camp".
1946 : The first Brevard Music Festival, with James Christian Pfohl as Artistic Director, was presented in August as an appendix to the Music Camp season.
1955 : The Transylvania Music Camp was renamed to "Brevard Music Center".
1965 : Henry Janiec became the second Artistic Director.
1993 : John Candler became the first President and CEO.
1996 : David Effron, a Brevard Music Center alumnus, became the third Artistic Director.
2007 : Keith Lockhart, a Brevard Music Center alumnus, became the fourth Artistic Director.
2013 : Mark Weinstein named President and CEO.